Blue Sky Farm

My blogging posts and photos are part of me . I think of this as a scrapbook of my life. The names have not been changed.. they are real people who have crossed my path along my journey. Some I know intimately, my family and friends. If their names are mentioned it's a sure sign they are special to me and I love them dearly...come along see for yourself, perhaps you know some of them too..

February 3, 2009

Ahhh! "The Stinking Rose"


Add Image
Garlic (allium sativum) has been dubbed "The Stinking Rose", yet it is actually a member of the Lily (Liliaceae) family and a cousin to onions, leeks, chives, and shallots.
Garlic is one of the most versatile flavors to ever grace a kitchen. It not only tastes wonderful, it's very good for your body. It is one of Mother Nature's most precious gift to cooks of all levels of expertise.
There are over 300 varieties of garlic grown worldwide. American garlic, with its white, papery skin and strong flavor is one of the most common varieties. Italian and Mexican garlic, both of which have pink- to purple-colored skins, are slightly milder-flavored varieties. The edible bulb or head of garlic is composed of smaller cloves. It is a root crop, with the bulb growing underground. Garlic crops are harvested in mid-July and hung in sheds to dry before reaching their prime in late-July/early-August.
Herb-Garlic Marinade
Recipes courtesy Gourmet Magazine
Great for chicken on the ~ lemony and has no sugar. 15 minutes to prepare. Makes 2 cups.
Ingredients
6 large garlic cloves
1/3 cup packed tender fresh thyme sprigs
1/4 cup packed fresh rosemary leaves
1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Mince together garlic, thyme sprigs, and rosemary with salt and mash to a coarse paste. In a bowl whisk together garlic paste and remaining ingredients until emulsified. Marinade may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.

No comments: